Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Mawwiage...And wuv. Twue wuv.

Last Friday as I was making dinner, Alanna called in from the dining room, "Mommy, can I have a baby?"

Nothing quite stops you in your tracks as the 4 year old asking for an infant from the other room. To say I did a double take is probably inaccurate. It was just lucky I didn't have a hot casserole dish in my hands...

I gathered my composure and walked to the dining room, "No, sweetie, but you have a baby doll." Hoping that the conversation would thus end with an "oh, ok." Yah..no such luck.

A: "Why can't I have a baby?"
M: "Well honey, someday when you get to be a grown up you'll fall in love and get married and then maybe you can have a baby."
A: "Are you and daddy married?"
M: "Yes."
A: "You're in love?"
M: "Yes."
A: "I'm going to marry daddy."
M: "Sweetie, you can't marry daddy. Mommy is married to daddy. Someday maybe you will find a man a lot like daddy who loves you and cares for you, then you can marry him."
A: "Then can I marry Uncle Adam?"
M: "Honey, you can't marry anyone you're related to...those are the rules."
A: "Then who can I marry?"
M: "Someday you'll meet someone you really like and fall in love and when you're all grown up you can get married to them."
A: "Ah, I can marry Dylan!"

Well, I'm glad we have that all figured out. Anyone have a good shotgun cheap?

1 comment:

  1. Gee, I didn't decide who I was going to marry until I was 7! She's so ahead of the times!

    ReplyDelete