Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I Don't Wanna Grow Up!!!

Last night out of nowhere Alanna started crying after bedtime. We asked what was wrong and in between sobs she declared, "I don't want to be a grown up ever!"

We explained that she had a very long time to still be a child and that eventually she would have to be a grown up but that she could still have fun.

That didn't fly. The tears poured down, the shrill little tantrum voice started and she declared "I DON'T WANNA GROW UP!!! I NEED TO KNOW WHAT TO DO SO I STAY A KID FOREVER!!!"

Thinking I was really smart, I asked her, "Honey, does Daddy act like a grown up or like a kid?" I was banking on the fact that Daddy acts goofier than Mommy and does more rough house play like snowball fights than I do. It didn't work. She replied, "A grown up."

Daddy saved the day. Jeb looked at her and smoothed her hair and said, "Honey, how about if Daddy promises to do everything possible so that you're always younger than he is?" Tricky. Alanna was happy with it though and the tantrum stopped and she went back to bed.

Oh sweetie, if only you knew how many times we grown ups wish we were still kids. This is a tantrum I still have.

No comments:

Post a Comment