Friday, January 07, 2005

What's a Woogie??

So, yesterday Alanna presented me with a new word. Woogie. What in the world is a woogie???

Jeb is still in NC for work, so yesterday morning was a flurry of me getting ready and then quickly getting Alanna ready for daycare. As we were getting ready, I told her a bit about the Nuk fairy (which I will post later) and how Aunt Lori was going to come over for pizza that night. I get her coat, hat, scarf, boots & mittens on--she looked like a cute little snowman all bundled up. She looks at me with this indignant glare and states, "Woogie."

This conversation between me and my two year old ensued:
Me--"What's a woogie?"
Alanna--"Woogie."
Me-- "Honey, I don't know what a woogie is."
Alanna-- "Woogie!"
Me-- "Sweetheart, we need to go. I have your blankie and Nuk..is that what you want?"
Alanna-- "No!!! No, no no! Woogie!"

At this point, I've got the door open and her in my arms balanced heading outside.
During our drive to daycare, the conversation continues.

Me-- "We're going to go see Paula!" in my fun mommy voice.
Alanna-- "Woogie."
Me-- "Sweetie, I don't know what a woogie is, but won't it be fun at Paula's?"
Alanna--"No. Woogie!"

We get to daycare and I mention to Paula that I don't know what a woogie is, but that Alanna has been asking for it all morning and does she happen to know. Paula looks confused and says she has no idea either.

So, all day I'm trying to think through what in the world a woogie is and all that comes to mind is the movie Mr. Mom from the early 80's where the little boy calls his blankie a woogie. Well, Alanna can say "blankie", and I'm fairly certain she's never seen the movie so that can't be it.

I go to pick her up and as we're getting her coat on, this conversation occurs:
Me--"Let's go home and see Aunt Lori and have Pizza!"
Alanna-- "Za!! Woogie!"
Me-- "Lori"
Alanna-- "Wori"
Me-- (as it begins to dawn on my dumb mommy brain) "Who are we going to see?"
Alanna-- "Woogie!"

So, even though my daughter can say "Wori", she has chosen to rename Aunt Lori to Woogie. When Lori came over last night, she ran and gave her a hug and said "Woogie!!" We said "say Lori" to which she responds "Wori". Then we point at Lori and say "Who's this?" And the resounding answer:
"WOOGIE!!"

Congratulations, Aunt Woogie! You know I'm not letting that one go....she'll be Woogie forever now :)


No comments:

Post a Comment